Responsible pet ownership means
- Making a commitment for the life of the animal–that could be 20 years or more!
- Pets are spayed/neutered to prevent unwanted animals and to help with many behavior issues. The cost of licensing your dog is less if the dog is spayed/neutered in certain areas. For more information, visit our spay/neuter initiative.
- Proper identification of the pet: a microchip (keep registration current), name tag, or tattoo
- Renters: obtain permission from the landlord first. Think long-term: will your next apartment be pet-friendly too? Are you willing to pay a pet deposit at your next rental? Helpful tips: https://www.petfinder.com/dogs/living-with-your-dog/finding-pet-friendly-housing/
- Dogs are licensed annually by January 31st:
- Rockbridge County: http://lexingtonva.gov/gov/depts/treasurer/dog_tags.htm
- Buena Vista: https://bvcity.org/taxes/
- Lexington City: http://lexingtonva.gov/DocumentCenter/View/144.pdf
- The animal receives annual wellness checkups at the vet
- The dog is on monthly heartworm prevention medication
Area Dog Trainers